Saturday, January 24, 2009

I’m Finally Here!

Since I first learned to read, I wanted to become a writer of books and magazines. Though I'm still a major bibliophile, that path was pushed aside for more immediate responsibilities, career experiences and other misadventures!

Though I'm older now I am still deeply drawn to the world of writing, editing and publishing. I have also developed a new taste for electronic media. Besides the course objectives, I hope we'll learn how to choose profitable journalistic endeavors and create different types of digital presentations similar to the New Media in Journalism coursework. (After waiting so long to get here, I'm actually pretty excited about this class!)

1 comment:

  1. Welcome aboard! In this class, we mostly focus on basic news-writing skills ... but I encourage you to explore media industry news and trends for your "Top News" stories and your individual blog posts.

    Also, try to make a strategic choice about who you profile. Consider interviewing someone who'd might be a good media career contact.

    BTW, as far as I can tell, right now nobody really knows how to make money in journalism any more -- at least not in print journalism -- so it's hard to advise on "safe" career choices. On the bright side, however, as the old business model continues its death throes, lots of experimentation is going on and that opens up some new opportunities for new people with new skills.

    ReplyDelete