Sunday, May 3, 2009

Topical Blog # 2

Self-publishing has become increasingly more popular in the past decade.


However, most self-published books don't make the best seller list, and, because of marketing costs, don't even make it to the major distribution centers like Barnes and Noble or Amazon. Even hiring a publicist can't make a "fair" book a "great" one.


Not that vanity publishing is a terrible idea by any means. But, to be clear, large publishing houses are for-profit businesses and thus demand professional writing and editing. The guidelines for vanity publishing are not as rigid.


Recently, an acquaintance quickly published a book of her own poetry (which I believe to be a difficult genre to publish at any rate.) At first I believed she paid a large fee to be published, which is the most common scenario with vanity publishing, but I was wrong. There was no fee.


Since it seemed odd, I perused the publisher's legalese that's available on its website: I have only determined that the publisher forever retains all printing rights to any book it publishes.


The publisher doggedly claims it is not a vanity publisher. Since I have yet to see an actual contract it distributes to its clients, I am currently unaware of any "loopholes" that might be in the fine print there.


Still, I can't help but be suspicious that the publisher is exactly what it claims not to be: a vanity publisher, in disguise.


Please feel free to view the publisher's website: X


What do you think?



1 comment:

  1. Like you, I'm dubious ... but I can't really tell from the website either.

    Good post. 15/15

    ReplyDelete