Thursday, March 12, 2009

Ethical Decision-Making

(From the Poynter Online website: Bob Steele's article Talk About Ethics)
1. What do I know? What do I need to know?
2. What is my journalistic purpose?
3. What are my ethical concerns?
4. What organizational policies and professional guidelines should I consider?
5. How can I include other people, with different perspectives and diverse ideas, in the decision-making process?
6. Who are the stakeholders -- those affected by my decision? What are their motivations? Which are legitimate?
7. What if the roles were reversed? How would I feel if I were in the shoes of one of the stakeholders?
8. What are the possible consequences of my actions? Short term? Long term?
9. What are my alternatives to maximize my truth telling responsibility and minimize harm?
10. Can I clearly and fully justify my thinking and my decision? To my colleagues? To the stakeholders? To the public?

Questions:
Scenario 1 - Bribery Case

If I personally saw some documents and knew they were relevant, I would be suspicious as to why she left such sensitive documents in plain sight. I would later ask in the interview if she has any documentation about the case. If the official said yes, but was unwilling to show them to me, I would immediately notify my editor about the paperwork. The editor would most likely call the case prosecutor who would probably obtain a search warrant for the documentation. If the official said no, I would notify my editor, but she or he could "kill" the idea to obtain the documentation right then.

Scenario 2 - Nursing Home

If I had a notarized contract with my editor stating (1) it was the publication's idea (2) [it] would pay all future attorney fees and court costs if a legal battle resulted (3) my job would be protected regardless of the outcome, you bet I would! Remaining anonymous before and after the story was published would be ideal, but legally risky. A good journalist sometimes has to get dirty to get the "real dirt"!

Scenario 3 - Crediting Sources

We must always credit the original source who obtained quotes whether they are found on the internet or in print materials.

1 comment:

  1. OK except #2 - If you read the commentary on the Food Lion case (on the Resources page), you know that getting hired under false pretenses could make you and your news organization vulnerable to a lawsuit. You can't stay anonymous and get a story published, so that's won't work. That's why it's best to explore all other sources of information (interviews with former patients and their families, former employees, public records, etc.) first.

    13/15

    ReplyDelete