Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Got What It Takes To Be A Reporter?

  1. I enjoy reading. I consume a lot of books and magazines. Mostly True: 2 points
  2. For me, writing is rewarding. And I am confident that people genuinely enjoy the stuff I write. Mostly True: 3 points
  3. I don't pay much attention to spelling. My punctuation and grammar probably ain't great either. Not True: 2 points
  4. I'm generally adept at computer technology: sending e-mail, downloading files, shooting digital photos, etc. Mostly True: 1 points
  5. I can organize my ideas and write quickly when I need to. Mostly True: 3 points
  6. I'd make a good game show contestant because I 'm pretty good at remembering facts and trivia. Mostly True: 2 points
  7. I'm efficient and self-sufficient when it comes to doing extensive library or internet research. Mostly True: 2 points
  8. I'm generally more curious than most people I know. Mostly True: 3 points
  9. In public situations, I'm pretty shy: I avoid asking questions in class, for instance. Not True: 2 points
  10. I think it's unpatriotic to question or criticize the government. Not True: 1 point
  11. When I choose a career, I'll require a stable, 9-5 job where my workday is routine and I make big money. Mostly True: 0 points
  12. If I really want something, I'm tenacious until I get it. Mostly True: 3 points
  13. When I'm under pressure, I can keep my cool and stay focused without losing my temper. Mostly True: 1 point
  14. When stranger and teachers criticize what I write, it really bugs me. I mean, who do they think they are? Not True: 2 points

  15. 27 points: You're a solid contender for a successful journalism career. You've got the personality and ability a good reporter needs.

    -----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

    This is not news. I've been doing my own investigative journalism and research projects before computers were standard communicating devices. I wasn't getting paid but I was hooked.


    I found that there is usually a back story to every story, and with enough digging the truth can be found and properly exposed. I write at least 25 letters and even more emails a year to government officials questioning the validity of "personally driven" bills, pork projects, discriminatory policies and corrupt activities within the ranks.



    Not surprisingly, I am also very concerned about the average consumers being "ripped off". I could easily see myself working and writing for Consumer Reports, for instance. Fraud of every type is a pet peeve of mine.


    On the lighter side, researching the historic, strange and exotic is irresistible: I can also see myself being a travel writer and perhaps writing niche books in those genres.


    It's no secret: I've already had more than a couple of careers in my lifetime and possess a mortgage. Therefore, I suspect I'll freelance part time until I am compensated well enough to finally write full time.



1 comment:

  1. Sounds like you're in good shape on this. 10/10

    ReplyDelete