Sunday, April 26, 2009

Topical Blog Post #1

Are You Scared Yet?

Yes, I am.

And no, I’m not talking about the latest slasher movie or a mass murderer on the loose...

I’m talking about the economy.

Since I survived the Reagan-era recession, I thought this would just be another time-obstacle to overcome.

Wrong!

It’s taking WAY too long to recover this time.

My union has warned me that there probably won’t be any more work for us until next year.

My credit cards interest rates have doubled overnight without reason.

I have to supplement my elderly mother and her husband even more so now, because their rent went up when the economy went down.

My latest medical insurance won’t pay for my prescriptions but continue to extract premiums from my bank account every month.

I can't put off major purchases forever: my old car needs major work (costly repairs that exceed the value of the car) and I need three dental crowns ($1,200 a pop) among other expensive, needful things.

I'm not complaining: I have endured tough times before. I worked outdoors on a frozen island for two years. I had eight spine surgeries in five years. Several friends and most of my family have already passed on. Ah! But life goes on, and things always turn around, right?

Normally, I would say yes.

Yet...it’s almost May, 2009. Things aren’t turning around yet. The economy seems to be getting worse instead of better. Mass layoffs are still occurring. Banks aren’t lending while small, chain and conglomerate businesses are closing forever. The way it's going, I foresee my own union dissolving.

And now...now, I’m getting scared.


1 comment:

  1. I don't blame you. It sounds like you have some real reasons to be scared. I hope the outlook improves over the summer.

    25/25

    ReplyDelete